What Is Your Restaurant Idea?
You know you want to open a restaurant, but you are debating the concept. There are many different types of restaurants you could open, but your restaurant idea should have a bit of a unique twist. You can choose the basic concept, and then add your own restaurant ideas to the mix. Your menu items will define what type of decor and style your restaurant will basically have.
Restaurants are usually placed into three groups:
1. Quick Service-
These are the fast food restaurants. These restaurants usually offer a menu limited to food items that can be prepared quickly. This type of restaurant will usually have a drive through window and cater to take out. Even though you have a fast food Brazilian Restaurant, as long as you don’t have a franchise, you can incorporate your own restaurant ideas into this concept with special decor and uniforms.
2. Mid Scale-
These are restaurants that offer regular meals for a reasonable price. The customers see this as a good value. This type of restaurant can be a full service, buffet, or a limited service restaurant where the customers order at the counter and the food is delivered to them at a table. Again, as long as this isn’t a franchise opportunity, you will be able to choose your own decor, and how your servers will dress. Many of these types of restaurants do not have a uniform for their workers, but ask them to wear a white shirt and black slacks or skirt. Once you open your own, you will be able to be creative with your restaurant ideas.
This is the type of restaurant that will offer a customer plenty of ambiance, and charming full service. The cuisine and the prices will be High end. You can incorporate your own restaurant ideas into this type of establishment as well. There are many different restaurant ideas that involve menus written on unusual objects- Cleavers, Plates, slates, etc.. You can also have a different type of theme such as a 1930 or 40’s supper club where your servers dress in period attire, or a restaurant filled with antique gas station memorabilia and servers who wear elite coveralls.
You can see that the sky is the limit, if you are not limited in your choices by a franchise. In that case you are pretty much locked in to their decor and suggestions to fulfill your contract. Some of the concepts of a restaurant could be:
· Asian Cuisine- Specialize in Oriental food service.
· Breakfast Restaurant- Specialize in big breakfasts, for a reasonable price.
· Dry Restaurants- Do not serve liquor.
· Casual Dining- Offer more of a laid back and family atmosphere with prices in the mid-range.
· Coffee Shop- Provides different coffees, teas, and light meals.
· Concession- Operate on beaches, at fairs, festivals, sporting events etc.. This type of food service is usually operated in the summer months, and has a menu limited to simple to prepare foods and snacks.
· Delicatessens- Offer foods that are usually consumed shortly after they are purchased, the main product is usually luncheon meats and cheeses. They provide sandwiches, salads, soups and other snacks. Food preparation is simple or made ahead of time.
· Ethnic Restaurants- These restaurants can fall into all three categories. The menus usually include some American versions of ethnic dishes and truly ethnic dishes.
· European Restaurants- Usually specialize in French, Italian, Spanish, etc. cuisine and can be a mid range or upscale establishment.
· Family Restaurant- Offer family friendly dining, and they usually offer specials every day. Their menu is varied and they offer a child’s menu. They charge a reasonable price and are usually casual.
· Fast Food- These restaurant ideas usually specialize in one or two main foods, and may also offer salads and simple desserts. The menu offers foods that are easy to prepare.
Just about any type of food or restaurant idea can be incorporated into a restaurant of your own. Sit down and think of all the restaurant ideas you can think of. I think you’ll be surprised at what you come up with.